Serves 6, 15 minutes Cooking, 30 minutes Preparation
Summer is just around the corner! So help yourself to a good portion of Arctic Roll to keep you cool.
For the sponge roll:
- 4 large Eggs
- 200g Self-Raising Flour
- 200g Caster Sugar
For the filling:
- 1 tub of ice cream, flavour of your choice
- 1 jar of strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180C/140F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a large baking dish with butter, and line with Baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually sift in the flour and mix until fully combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Whilst the sponge cooks, scoop out the ice cream and place into a large mixing bowl, and beat with a rolling pin until softened but not runny.
- Spoon the softened ice cream onto a separate sheet of baking paper and roll tightly, so it is 3 inches thick, securing the paper with sellotape.
- Place the rolled ice cream in the freezer.
- Once cooked, remove the sponge from the oven, and allow to cool.
- On a clear surface lay a piece of baking paper, sprinkled with sugar, and tip the sponge onto it, removing the baking paper the sponge was cooked on from the base.
- Spread the jam onto the sponge.
- Remove the ice cream roll from the freezer and lay it lengthways across the roll.
- Gripping the long edge of the baking paper and the sponge edge, roll the Arctic Roll tightly around the ice cream.
- Neatly trim the cake ends so the jam and ice cream can be seen clearly.
- Serve and enjoy!