Serves 6, 45 minutes Preparation, 30 minutes Baking
An old family favourite, Bread and Butter pudding is the ultimate in warming comfort food.
- For the Bread and Butter Pudding:
- 200g raisins
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 8 slices white bread
- 50g softened butter and extra for greasing
- 1 grated Nutmeg
For the Custard filling:
- 2 large eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 200ml milk
- 25g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4
- Grease a large heat-proof dish.
- Butter the bread on one side and slice into triangles or rectangles, removing the crusts if you wish.
- Place a layer of buttered bread into the dish, then sprinkles with half the sultanas a tsp of mixed spice, and half the grated nutmeg.
- Repeat the process until all the bread has been used in the dish, then set aside before making the custard filling.
- For the custard filling in a small pan gently heat the milk and cream, but do not allow it to boil.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs with most of the sugar until smooth.
- Remove the milk and cream mixture from the heat, then add to the eggs and whisk.
- Strain the mixture and pour the custard all over the Bread and Butter Pudding.
- Sprinkle the rest of the sugar and nutmeg on top of the pudding and then set aside for 30 minutes.
- Once the oven is heated place the dish into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. The custard should be wobbly, not runny, and the bread will turn crispy and a delicious golden brown.
- Serve immediately, plain or with ice cream.