Serves 1, 5 minutes preparation, 5-7 minutes cooking
Our gooey cheese and ham omelette is perfect for a speedy evening meal solution with a handful of salad leaves of half a tin of baked beans if you fancy.
- 3 free-range eggs
- Splash of milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10g/½oz unsalted butter
- 30g/1oz strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 thick slice of ham, finely chopped
- Gently beat the eggs and the splash of milk together in a mixing bowl and season, to taste, with a little salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the butter in a small/medium frying pan over a medium heat until foaming but not turning brown. Pour in the beaten eggs and cook for a few seconds, until the bottom of the omelette is lightly set.
- Push the set parts of the omelette into the uncooked centre of the omelette. Cook again, until the omelette has set further, then push those set parts into the centre of the omelette again.
- Repeat the process until the eggs have just set but the omelette is still soft in the centre.
- Place the cheese and three-quarters of the ham into the centre of the omelette and cook until the cheese has melted.
- Increase the heat to high and cook the omelette for a further 30 seconds, or until it browns on the bottom.
- Fold the omelette in half, then remove the pan from the heat and tilt it slightly to move the omelette to the edge of the pan. Slide the omelette onto a serving plate, sprinkle over the remaining ham and serve with a small leafy salad of a portion of baked beans if desired.