SERVES 6-8, 25 MINS PREPARATION, 30 MINS COOKING
The extremely versatile Welsh Rarebit makes a very tasty cheese tart for a St David’s Day lunch or dinner. With the addition of broccoli and the Welsh produce of Leeks, for a vegetarian alternative this Welsh Rarebit cheese tart is as just as delicious without the bacon.
INGREDIENTS:For the Cheese Rarebit:
- 25g Butter
- 200g Caerphilly or Welsh Cheese (or any alternative)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce or Mustard
- 100ml Milk
- 1-2 tablespoons of Flour, if needed
- Salt and Pepper, seasoning to taste
- 225g Broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 pack Smoked Bacon
- 1 pack Jus Roll Shortcrust Pastry sheet
- 2 leeks, sliced
- Salt and Pepper seasoning, to taste
- Sheet baking paper and dried rice or ceramic baking beans for pre or -baking
2. For the Rarebit cheese, grate or crumble ¾ of the cheese into a saucepan, and add the butter, seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce or mustard.
3. Heat gently until the cheese melts, stirring slowly. Gradually add the milk to soften the mixture, but avoid making it too runny.
4. Stir and simmer on a gentle heat until the mixture is thick and smooth and drips but not pours off the spoon (if it is a little runny just add a bit more cheese or a few tablespoons of flour to thicken the Rarebit mixture).
5. Leave to cool but not harden, heating it gently but not allowing it to bubble (remove from the heat for a few minutes if it does).
6. Unroll the pastry sheet and place into a round baking tin.
7. Trim and place the sheet of baking paper into the tart.
8. Pour on top of the baking paper dried rice or small round ceramic baking beans to blind bake (this prevents a soggy bottom!).
9. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, until the pastry crust turns a light golden brown. Whilst the pastry cooks prepare the filling.
10. Chop the leek and broccoli and bring to boil in a saucepan for a few minutes to soften. Drain and leave to cool.
11. Chop and fry the bacon, and blot with kitchen paper once cooled to remove the grease.
12. Remove the pastry from the oven and remove the baking paper and rice/baking beans.
13. Mix the fried bacon, leeks and broccoli into the Rarebit cheese and pour the mixture into the tart, spreading it to the edge of the crust. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
14. Place the tart in the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes until the Rarebit filling turns golden brown. If necessary, cover the edge of the crust with foil to prevent burning or over-browning.
15. Serve and enjoy with a side and condiment of your choice.