SERVES 6, 30 MINUTES PREPARATION, 1-2 HOURS COOKING
This moreish Tomato, Bean and Sausage Casserole, served on a bed of rice and with a side of crusty bread, is a rustic delight for a tasty Tuscan feast.
- 12 Pork Sausages (plain or flavour of your choice)
- 350g Rice
- 200g can of Butter Beans
- 200g can of Cannellini Beans
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Dried Basil to taste
- 400g can of Plum Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1 Large Onion, Peeled And Sliced
- Salt And Pepper Seasoning To Taste
- Olive Oil For Frying
- Crusty Bread To Serve
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/400oC F/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the Sausages on a large baking tray and cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes until they turn a rich brown all over.
- Whilst the sausages are cooking prepare the casserole sauce.
- Peel and chop the Onion and Garlic and fry them gently with a drizzle of oil in a large casserole pot, until they turn a light golden brown.
- Turn down the heat and pour in the can of Plum Tomatoes (these can be chopped in the pan).
- Add the Cannellini and Butter beans, Dried Basil and Season to taste.
- Allow to simmer gently on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sausages are cooked remove from the oven and place into the casserole pot and stir (these can either be whole, or chopped into small chunks).
- Place the casserole pot with the lid on into the oven and allow to cook for 1-2 hours, until the sausages have softened.
- Whilst the casserole cooks in the oven, pour the Rice into a large pan and cover it with boiling water.
- Once the rice is cooked (it should be soft but not mushy), remove the casserole from the oven.
- Serve the Tomato, Bean and Sausage Casserole on a bed of rice with a side of Crusty Bread.