- 2 large chicken breasts, skin on
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g shallots, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- large pinch saffron
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- pinch crushed dried chilli flakes
- 350g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp clear honey
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C/gas 4. Cut each chicken breast in half, then – along with the thighs – season well with salt and pepper. Over a medium heat, heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and brown all over – do this in batches. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Lower the heat and add the shallots to the pan and cook until golden brown. Add the garlic and grated ginger and cook for 30 seconds before adding the remaining spices and cooking for a further minute.
3. Add the butternut squash to the pan and stir to coat in the spices. Arrange the chicken, skin side up, on top of the shallots and squash. Pour over the chicken stock and drizzle in the honey. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to the oven to bake for 40 mins or until tender. Serve with flatbreads or cooked cous-cous.