Serves 4, 5mins Preparation, 10mins cooking
This is a really quick & easy pasta sauce recipe – why not alter the flavour by adding different ingredients?
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 1200g cans of chopped tomatoes (about 3 cans)
- ¼ - ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 large handful basil leaves, ripped into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion and garlic until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, chilli flakes, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce begins to reduce. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper. This can be left chunky or blended in a food processor for a smooth sauce.
- To serve, spoon over cooked pasta with lots of parmesan cheese.